The Battle for Middle-earth II: Rise of the Witch-king is the expansion pack for The Battle for Middle-earth II. In the plot-line of this game, the Witch-king of Angmar creates a kingdom nothing and raises an army from the inhabitants of the north, who are Wolves, Trolls, Orcs, and varying Black Númenoreans; with the purpose of destroying the Dúnedain realm of Arnor. Electronic Arts developed and published the game in 2006, after announcing its release at the San Diego Comic-Con of that year.
Unlike the two preceding games, The Rise of the Witch-king is compatible only with PC, and not also with Xbox 360.
- Andy Serkis as Angmar's Witch-king
- Gregg Berger as Rogash and King Arvedui
- Cam Clarke as King Arveleg
- Keith Ferguson as Morgomir
- Lloyd Sherr as Hwaldar
- Jason Connery as Karsh
- Michael Gough as the voice of Black Numenoreans
Main article: Angmar Campaign
Unlike BFME 2, there is only one Campaign, in which the player plays the conquest of the Witch-king and his faction. The campaign's finale is "the Epilogue".
Additions to the game
- The Witch-king of Angmar
- Morgomir, another Ringwraith, who is the Witch-king's second
- Rogash "Troll of the North", a great troll of frozen lands in the north who comes into the Witch-king's service at the time of the birth of Angmar
- Hwaldar, a leader of evil Hill-men from Rhudaur who has sided with Angmar
- Karsh, a previous captain of Arnor, turned into a wraith during the Witch-king's conquest
Units added to existing factions
- Elves: Lindon Horse Archers, Noldor Warriors
- Dwarves: Dwarven Zealots, Prince Brand
- Mordor: Black Orcs, Black Riders (together as a unit of 6, on horseback)
- Isengard: Warg Pack, Uruk Deathbringers,
- Goblins: Fire Drake brood (a group of three smaller Fire Drakes), Azog of Moria
War of the Ring updates
- The Ring Heroes (Galadriel and Sauron) became recruitable
- Two new historical scenarios: Historical and Fall of Arnor
In The Rise of the Witch-king there are a total of sixty-nine regions of Middle-earth that can be battled throughout and explored. For all RotWK maps, see Category:RotWK Maps.