The Balrog depicted in the game is Durin's Bane and it resided in Moria, and upon encountering the Fellowship, it attacked, eager to collect the ring. Gandalf, however, being a Maiar spirit as well, battled the Balrog to protect Frodo and the others.The Balrog is a very powerful unit. He is hard to kill, has large splash damage, and boasts powerful abilities. He can engulf the battlefield in flame with his breath, and even fly.
- Ignite - the Balrog lights up with temporary more-dazzling and dark glow; gains an increase in damage by 200% and armor by 50% for a short duration
- Fire Whip - his whip is used on an enemy building or unit - as much as 6 enemies can be killed by one stroke
- Scream - causes all enemies to flee in terror
- Breathe Fire - the Balrog exhales a long gust of flame across the selected area. This attack is equivalent to Drogoth's Incinerate, a Firedrake's Inferno, and a Summoned Dragon's default attack.
- Wings - the Balrog spreads its vast wings and takes a short flight to the selected nearby location.